20110824

An interstate earthquake chat

From the National Hurricane Center.
I'm among the apparently very few here in Upstate New York who felt nothing during Tuesday's earthquake. Perhaps that is a result of my famously brilliant balance, or my equally famous unawareness of what goes on around me.

Anyway, I was in the midst of an e-chat with Paul McCann, owner/distiller of Parched Group in Richmond, VA, where he makes the exquisite craft vodka named Cirrus.

It was Paul who alerted me to what was going on. Here's a bit of the back-and-forth. Obviously, there were time gaps between the messages.

PAUL: Cirrus just launched in GA and will be launching in MD Oct 1.

BILL: That's good news. Best wishes.

PAUL: We just had an earthquake. No damage.

BILL (obviously oblivious): Seriously?

PAUL: Yep, 6.0.

BILL: Any damage to your facility? (Apparently the shock waves radiated all the way up here, but I never felt it. Living atop a mountain helps, I guess.)

PAUL: No damage here fortunately. This building was constructed in '46. They don't build 'em like this anymore. I was a little worried about the old smoke stack that is 200 ft tall but I don't see any problems. If there are maybe the hurricane will blow it over; hopefully sway from my building...

As noted, the next East Coast worry is the progress of Hurricane Irene, now gathering strength in the Caribbean.

To Dowd's Wine Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Brews Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Tasting Notes latest entry.
Back to Dowd's Guides home page.

No comments: