Laphroaig wins hearts in San Francisco test
Laphroaig found the 6th annual San Francisco World Spirits Competition worth its time again this year.
The Scottish company was named "Distiller of the Year" and its 30-Year-Old Single Malt Scotch was named "Best in Show/Whisk(e)y."It's made at the distillery (seen here) on Islay, Scotland, at 86 proof and $240 a bottle.
The other "bests of show" were:
• White Spirits: Plymouth Gin, England, 82.4 proof, $23.
• Vodka: Zyr Vodka, Russia, 80 proof, $32.
• Aquavit: Linie Lysholm Aquavit, Norway, 86 proof, $25.
• Rum: Ron Matusalem 10 Year Old Clasico Rum, Dominican Republic, 80 proof, $20.
• CachaÇa: Sagatiba Velha Luxuosa Cachaça, Brazil, 80 proof, no price given.
• Tequila: El Tesoro El Tesoro Paradiso, Mexico, 80 proof, $121.
• North American Whiskey: Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond Rye Whiskey, Kentucky, 100 proof, $13.
• Brandy: Hennessy Richard Hennessy Cognac, France, 80 proof, $1,800.
• Liqueur: Chartreuse Green Herbal, France, 110 proof, $48.
• Fruit Liqueur: Grand Marnier Cuvée Speciale Cent Cinquantenaire, France, 80 proof, $215.
• Blended Scotch: Johnnie Walker Green Label, Scotland, 86 proof, $50.
• Calvados: Grand Pommier XS Calvados, France, 80 proof, $300.
Full medal results are available on the event Web site.
To Dowd's Spirits Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Wine Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Brews Notebook latest entry.
Back to Dowd's Bar Blog home page.
Posted by William M. Dowd at 5:01 PM