When you think vodka, you probably don't think sugar cane. Or South Africa.
The judges at the International Wine & Spirit Competition in England, however, obviously do. They awarded the top vodka honor to Mainstay, a South African brand which is sugar-cane based.
The judging panel described Mainstay as "exceptionally clean on the nose … Lively attack in the mouth with a slight sweetness and some fine floral and fruity notes. More complex and full bodied than most. Very attractive and well distilled product ... Ends with bright, zesty, clean finish."
Other winners of IWSC Spirit Trophies, announced Friday:
• Aquavit: Aalborg Taffel Akvavit
• Fruit Spirits: Zwack Unicum Fekete Ribizke
• Gin: Beefeater Crown Jewel
• Liqueur: Amarula Cream Liqueur
• Rum: Inner Circle Green 57%
• Worldwide Whiskey: Van Winkle 12 Year Old Lot B
• Shochu: Long Term Stored Soba Shochu NAYUTA NO TOKI
• Sake: Daiginjo Sato-Uhee 2006
• Brandy: KWV Platinum 15 year old Brandy
• Cognac: Prince Hubert de Polignac XO Grande Champagne
• Blended Scotch Whisky: William Grant Rare & Extraordinary 25 Year Old
• Single Malt Scotch Whisky (over 15): Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1990
• Single Malt Scotch Whisky (15 and under): The Balvenie Portwood 1993
• Special Edition Single Malt Scotch Whisky: Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1990
• Cask Strength Scotch Whisky: Duncan Taylor Cask Strength Tomatin 41 Year Old Rare Auld Scotch Whisky
To Dowd's Spirits Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Wine Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Brews Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Non-Alcohol Drinks Notebook latest entry.
To Dowd's Tasting Notes latest entry.
Back to Dowd On Drinks home page.